[Arm-netbook] Wikipedia's EOMA68 page

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Sep 7 01:08:44 BST 2016

---

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 11:18 PM, Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> On Tuesday 6. September 2016 23.09.15 Paul Boddie wrote:
>>
>> Anyway, I've since added a bunch of citations:
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=EOMA-68&oldid=738088717
>>
>> I hope that other editors can source their material and maybe even widen
>> the sources to other sites than the ones I had to hand.
>
> And the stupid bot just reverted my entire edit because "Inexperienced user
> citing to primary sources associated wiht [sic] the product, fails WP:RS."

 faaakin 'ell...

> And, of course, the page is now a deletion candidate.

 oo that's actually a good idea!

> It makes me wonder how
> automatic ("wiht", indeed) this "bot" is.
>
> So, I say that we don't waste any more time with these people. I've left a
> remark about this on the talk page, but I guess they'll just delete the page.
> It's really far better to provide robust, authoritative documentation
> elsewhere and just ignore Wikipedia for the time being.

 no it's at least inspired some reviews of the standard, which is great.

> The tactic, if Luke is bothered about misrepresentation, is to then demand
> page deletion if someone recreates the page and writes nonsense on it. After
> all, that probably works rather well for famous people, so we can afford the
> luxury of suspending our disbelief for a second and thinking that it might
> work here as well.

 in about 6-12 months time there will be people coming out with stuff
so it'll be "multiple sources"

> Paul
>
> P.S. Generally, I've only ever edited Wikipedia to correct nonsense, add
> citations to various things, and generally try and uphold the historical
> record (where others might want to further their own agenda on a non-factual
> basis).

 hilariously there's people on wikipedia who think that's what i'm
doing.  they have _no_ idea how software libre / open project
management works...