[Arm-netbook] Wikipedia's EOMA68 page

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Sep 7 01:05:17 BST 2016

---

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 10:09 PM, Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> On Tuesday 6. September 2016 22.00.54 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>> ... is going to quickly turn into a clusterf*** if people don't step
>> in sharp-ish and help out.
>
> Well, I added a note in the talk page first of all, which more or less says
> that people should review edits and deploy "citation needed" rather than pick
> fights on the talk page. I guess it's probably unwise for you to do major
> edits for now because that will just upset them even more, but on the positive
> side, the page isn't in bad shape right now anyway.

 only because i reverted a bunch of factually inaccurate stuff!!

> It would be good to put a prominent glossary of terms somewhere that can then
> be used to enforce consistency on the Wikipedia page and throughout the other
> documentation. I can't find an obviously-located glossary page at the moment.
> And since the standard mentions "CPU Card" whereas the Wikipedia page mentions
> "Computer Card", people get confused without such guidance.

 yeahyeah no this is great stuff - i need to add alex's clarification
about naming as well

> Anyway, I've since added a bunch of citations:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=EOMA-68&oldid=738088717
>
> I hope that other editors can source their material and maybe even widen the
> sources to other sites than the ones I had to hand.

 yeahyeah.

> Paul
>
> P.S. A stupid bot caused an edit conflict on the page, and I got the useless
> MediaWiki exhortation to merge my edit with the conflicting one (great when
> you've got two plain text widgets and nothing else to help you) and not to
> just overwrite the existing page text with my own. But it's actually easier to
> do an overwrite, save the page, and then to see the differences and fix up if
> necessary. Of course, the bot was just adding a date to a "citation needed"
> tag, that being a top priority task to ensure maximum page quality, naturally.

 that's happened a lot... i do edits on sections, one at a time, now,
because of that, so as not to lose too much / get into too much
hassle.