[Arm-netbook] Future case idea: subnotebook/PDA with QWERTY keyboard

Joseph Honold mozzwald at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 20:53:58 BST 2016

5 Million Presses http://www.snaptron.com/products/dome-arrays/specs/

On 09/04/2016 12:51 PM, Sam Pablo Kuper wrote:
> On 04/09/16 17:50, Joseph Honold wrote:
>> Before I found out about EOMA68 I was intending to make a raspi handheld using this keypad layout https://mozzwald.com/public/images/misc/keypad.png
>>
>> Are there any preferred keypad layouts?
>
> That looks nice apart from the Esc key location. But I'm not sure where
> I would move the Esc key to within that layout: I'd have to experiment
> with it in my hands. Anyhow, users could re-map keys to suit their
> tastes, so that kind of detail may be moot :)

Remapping the keys would be easy enough in the driver. I made that layout to be used on a candybar shape handheld (like Malti or Blackberry). I wanted as many keys as possible in small but manageable layout and also allow for some game playing with choice of dpad left or right.

For reference, this is actual size pdf with pads for tact switches (not snap domes). Screen was to be a 3.2" 320x240 above the keypad.

https://mozzwald.com/public/files/pi_keypad.pdf

Anyways, it's just an example. Need more community input for actual keyboard layout, so lets get drawing :D

On 09/04/2016 12:25 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>  easily done with a dual-head 3d filament printer.  there's
> clear/translucent PLA and PETG available.  so, not a problem at all.
> there is also gel-like material available but it's much harder to work
> with and i don't know its durability (personally i wouldn't use it, or
> would research it very carefully in advance).

I'm not experienced with 3D printing so I don't really know all the options. Something easily reproducable with cheap printers would be nice. I dunno how popular dual head printers are, but I'm sure you could always find someone on 3dhubs and similar sites to make it for you.

The PocketChip users are already working on some keypad overlays
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1686723
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1670579