[Arm-netbook] Future case idea: subnotebook/PDA with QWERTY keyboard

Adam Van Ymeren adam.vany at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 17:50:50 BST 2016

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 12:37 PM, Joseph Honold <mozzwald at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/02/2016 09:58 AM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>>  well, do add the research that you've done to
>> http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/clamshell_microlaptop/
>>
>>  that's what the wiki is there for.  at the same time can you please
>> add mention of the SEW291 3G module, and that it's $12 in low volume,
>> and that it uses an MSM6260 chipset.
>
> Will do. Really, I'm just trying to keep the *conversation* going and get more input from others.
>
>>  also, whilst initially it looks really great to add a $1 TI TCA8418
>> or other I2C chip, you soon find that you need another $1 chip, then
>> another $1 ADC/DAC chip, then another $1 chip, and pretty soon it's
>> like "hang on a minute this is f*****g stupid, that's $5 worth of ICs
>> to do the same job as a $1.50 STM32F072!"
>
> Good point. It all depends on what features get implemented in the handheld.
> TCA8418 combined with STMPE811 touch controller/gpio expander seems like a possible low cost option. Both have linux drivers so no need for custom firmware.
>
>>  also bear in mind that from experience with the HTC Universal
>> reverse-engineering doing clamshell phone / pdas is f******
>> complicated.  beyond *any* shadow of doubt they are by far and above
>> way more complex in terms of I/O than laptops, or even intel desktop
>> PCs.
>
> Yeah, the mechanics of the hinge and getting cables from top to bottom would be a pain. I'm leaning towards the candybar form factor to keep it less complicated.
>
> My list of wanted features:
> QWERTY Keypad with backlight
> Wifi
> Cellular (optional)
> 640x480 or higher resolution LCD
> Touchscreen (resistive)
> Ambient Light Sensor (for backlight dimming)
> USB Audio (headphone jack, internal mic, ear speaker for phone, loudspeaker)
> USB Hub [wifi, audio, cellular, external host port(s)]
> Camera (optional, USB)
> Micro SD Slot

You might be able to get a good head start by taking the GTA04
schematics (basis of Neo900) and looking at modifying them to accept
an EOMA-68 computer card rather than having an onboard processor.

The GTA04 is a fairly mature schematic, the latest revision GTA04A5 is
going through the final stages before a production run.

http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-main/