[Arm-netbook] Future case idea: subnotebook/PDA with QWERTY keyboard

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Sep 2 15:58:50 BST 2016

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 3:33 PM, Joseph Honold <mozzwald at gmail.com> wrote:
> A handheld QWERTY device has been my goal for EOMA68 since I found out about it.

 cool.

 well, do add the research that you've done to
http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/clamshell_microlaptop/

 that's what the wiki is there for.  at the same time can you please
add mention of the SEW291 3G module, and that it's $12 in low volume,
and that it uses an MSM6260 chipset.

 also, whilst initially it looks really great to add a $1 TI TCA8418
or other I2C chip, you soon find that you need another $1 chip, then
another $1 ADC/DAC chip, then another $1 chip, and pretty soon it's
like "hang on a minute this is f*****g stupid, that's $5 worth of ICs
to do the same job as a $1.50 STM32F072!"

 also bear in mind that from experience with the HTC Universal
reverse-engineering doing clamshell phone / pdas is f******
complicated.  beyond *any* shadow of doubt they are by far and above
way more complex in terms of I/O than laptops, or even intel desktop
PCs.