[Arm-netbook] Future case idea: subnotebook/PDA with QWERTY keyboard

Joseph Honold mozzwald at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 15:33:57 BST 2016

A handheld QWERTY device has been my goal for EOMA68 since I found out about it.

I've been looking at various LCD options and all of the RGB ones that are 3.5"-4" have low resolution (320x240, 480x320, and expensive 640x480). This lead me to look at MIPI DSI displays which are cheaper with higher resolution but more complicated requiring a conversion IC. I see mention of the SSD2828 RGB to MIPI chip in the mailing list which seems low cost and it is already used in a couple A20 devices. Has anyone had experience with this chip? It seems u-boot enables it but I'm not sure how linux interacts with it.

http://arm-netbook.phcomp.co.narkive.com/tTYfuse7/rgb-to-mipi
http://linux-sunxi.org/SSD2828

The TI TCA8418 could be used for a keypad matrix (I2C). There is a linux driver already available. This raspberry pi handheld used it and has example dts config https://hackaday.io/project/5081-malti

Mouse could be implemented as a "keymouse" (like we use on Zipit, uinput driver). Basically, hold a modifier key and use DPad to move cursor and right/left click buttons.

Is AR9271 the only fsf supported Wifi chipset? This module might be an easy to implement option for built-in wifi http://www.skylab.com.cn/en/productview-61.html

Ultimately, I want to have cellular phone capability (voice/data/sms) which means non-free modem. The neo900 project is designing their phone to turn off power to the modem by the user and effectively removing privacy concerns. Not everyone will want a cellphone EOMA housing. This portion could be optionally populated on the board or use some off the shelf plug in module. Pyra and neo900 are using PLS8 modules which supports 4G. Simcomm has SIM5320 3G module used by Adafruit Fona https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fona-3g-cellular-gps-breakout/overview

What is everyones favorite form factor? The options I see viable for form factor are clamshell (Zipit Z2, Nanonote, Pyra/Pandora), candybar (Nokia E71, Blackberry Classic, Malti), Slider (Moto Photon Q, Samsung Galaxy Stratosphere). Slider is probably too complicated. Pyra is nice but wouldn't be a good as a traditional cellphone unless you put ear speaker and mic on backside of LCD/lid. Zipit/Nanonote size would work as a phone but screen size is limited.

Maybe adding full voice phone support is asking too much, but I like the idea :)