[Arm-netbook] Sorry to Luke (and others)

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Sep 2 10:22:42 BST 2016

On Friday 2. September 2016 07.43.09 chadvellacott at sasktel.net wrote:

>     And I am nearly sure that it HAD occurred to me, in the past, that if a
> question whose answer is likely of interest to others, can be asked and
> answered PUBLICLY, then that can save time for the person answering, by
> not having to answer the question twice.

I wouldn't worry too much about what's been done, particularly as it doesn't
seem to have been done maliciously. It's also clear that you understand the
etiquette here to the extent that the above quote is a good summary of the
policy of many mailing lists.

I tend to "reply to list" when my mail program lets me, and to "reply to all"
and then remove the personal addresses (leaving only the list address) when it
doesn't. When sending a new message, I tend to send it to the list only. Most
of the time, the people responding are on the list, especially if they are
involved with the project concerned.

Occasionally, I keep anyone responding in "Cc" if they've done that with me,
making the assumption that they like doing that. (Generally, I don't like
including people in "Cc" and will drop those separate addresses, making sure
that things go via the list.)

Some people/lists like short, specific messages on one topic or a couple of
topics. Others don't mind longer messages on a few different topics. I tend to
write longer messages on several topics if there are a few things I want to
mention that don't really merit separate messages. I think the consensus is to
keep the value of each message high, such that many single sentence messages
(for example) would be annoying and best avoided.

Welcome to the list! :-)

Paul