[Arm-netbook] New Open Access Journal for Open Source Hardware

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu Sep 1 22:52:19 BST 2016

On Thursday 1. September 2016 23.26.11 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

>  which begs the question (bringing things back to a positive note) -
> so thank you to mike for raising this so that the idea can come about:
> why the heck don't we set up some sort of journal / conference at some
> point?  or find a suitable existing conference and ask them if they'd
> like to run a track.  fosdem2016 or something.  fosdem's big enough
> (but might also be too big already).

Yes, sorry once again to be negative, and thanks to Mike for bringing the
journal to our attention! I just wanted to point out the pitfalls of such
channels, although most people might start to suspect something as soon as the
$100/$500 fee appears on their screens.

Some Free Software conferences have poster sessions, alongside the usual talks
and tutorials. Once upon a time, EuroPython had a reviewed papers track, which
I thought was very exotic for a community conference, but I guess it was an
honest attempt to replicate that aspect of academic conferences.

Other kinds of conferences might also be relevant, of course. It might be
easiest to start with the ones that share common interests and goals, however.

Paul