[Arm-netbook] Block Diagram - ZEOMA - Handheld Games Console

ryan rrryan at tds.net
Tue Oct 18 03:52:33 BST 2016

On 10/17/2016 07:46 PM, mdn wrote:
> Another one witch is also a compromise that I come up with.
> Is that since all video games are ephemera (1 or 2 years) what you can
> do is to sell the content of it and releases the software/sources under
> free/libre licence and when you have made/reached the estimate amount of
> money or more you can release under copyleft the content of the game
> (art etc...).

I had a similar idea, where written into the liscense for the game is a
"self-destruct" feature. Basically X number of years after initial
release the game code goes GPL and the assets CC (possibily GPL
depending on how the copyright law works with re-using the assets in
later games, especially where voice actors and celebrety cameos are
concerned)

I can't help but think of Microsoft Train Simulator as a great example
of why this should exist. It's a codebase old enough that it doesn't
work well on modern systems, there's still a community interested in
playing it, and Microsoft isn't doing anything with it. It's not
available anywhere except for original retail copies getting resold and
passed around amongst those who are actually interested in some old
railroad simulator. If that game got GPL'ed Microsoft wouldn't miss out
on a dime, but they won't bother doing so because "nobody's interested
in that old thing," and they're Microsoft.