[Arm-netbook] Block Diagram - ZEOMA - Handheld Games Console

Eric Duhamel ericxdu23 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 01:53:18 BST 2016

On October 15, 2016 12:47:14 PM PDT, GaCuest <gacuest at gmail.com> wrote:

>Yes, our idea is to support all that.

That's great to hear.

>As I said above, it may be interesting to launch a EOMA68-A20
>completely libre with this type of software. Without proprietary
>drivers for the GPU to be completely free.

If the ZEOMA will "just plug it in" and work with an EOMA68-A20 cards on offer, meaning the drivers provided by the OS can run the screen, wi-fi, etc., then I think it is already over half-way done! For instance, I'd just need to install the Xorg Joystick driver or make it automatically launch EmulationStation. EmulationStation can be configured to launch any libre games practicable. I've been experimenting with Zeroinstall for fetching games or versions that are not in repos.

Solarwolf runs well on as low as 1 Ghz processors without any 3D acceleration. Freedink is probably a good candidate, too. I haven't tried many libre games on low-powered hardware so this list needs expansion. Also, games with no built-in joystick support will require extra accommodations.

Of course, someone would need to put in the work to derive a pre-configured gaming ISO from a Debian or Parabola base. This could be sold on eoma68 cards or put on a "specially prepared" SD card to flash eoma cards. If anyone can offer some expertise in this area, please chime in.

P.S. I'd like to thank and welcome GaCuest to this mailing list. I had heard the ubrewit-zeoma project was a little hard to reach. Collaboration between these two communities should be beneficial.
--
Eric Duhamel
http://www.noxbanners.net/