[Arm-netbook] routing vpns over ssh

joem joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Mon Oct 10 13:50:17 BST 2016

On Mon, 2016-10-10 at 07:26 +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> i can't quite believe that i'm having to route my vpn access over an
> ssh tunnel in order to then put HTTP proxy over the VPN in order to
> get frickin internet access to my email and anything at all.
>
> the IP address of my server has been blocked *not* by the china
> government but by the cisco equipment where i'm currently located...
>
> ... which is in the lobby of allwinner's headquarters in zhuhai :)
>
> well done cisco! :)

Careful --- the great firewall of CN does not like VPNs and ssh tunnels
and would block the IP address which means Allwinner's IP addresss if it
keeps repeating the problems. So you can imagine the engineers or the
ISP just turned it all off to help prevent a future problem. You can pop
into HK for all your internet for a day, or get all your files
transferred to SSD and carry one of those around.
Also, instead of ssh, try ftp and telnet, and protocols over port 80, it
may pose fewer problems as its not fully encrypted communications .