[Arm-netbook] crowdsupply updates

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Oct 7 15:28:03 BST 2016

---

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 3:12 PM, joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:
> Hmmm...
>
> I believe the connectivity problem is down to the vast
> numbers of windumb botnets trying to get traffic
> in and out of CN and most of the Far East nations
> through international links.
> (Wireshark will verify that.)

 oo that's bad....

> Got a site that isn't live yet but the bot traffic
> from EC2 (Amzn) is just amazing - its all scripted and
> timed - you would think the ISPs and server space providers
> would block the URLs based on known attack pattern
> and get rid of this traffic to free up the international
> links by now :(

 jaezuss.

> Anyway to business - the business cards you are uploading
> are bad resolution - a sub $200 4G phone can over fix that.
> Amazon CN deliver twice per day :)

 does it come unlocked, support total replacement of the OS down to
the bedrock, and provide the full source of all firmware for all
on-board ICs?  i know the answer's no, so I won't be getting one.

> If you can get to the Shenzhen SEG market - very tall building.
> Big adventure in there.
> If you want best prices for low tech items such
> as connectors, capacitors etc, stand outside the SEG building
> at the busiest traffic street corner that faces the SEG building
> entrance.
> Then look left and see obscure looking low rise building.
> Cross road and go to the ground floor and never look back.
> Its tech nirvana in there. Need 2 or more days to
> look over it.

 honestly, i'm done.  the ladies from jihang, as mike explained today,
appear to be part of a.. what's the word... there's many groups of
people like them - a cooperative if you will - where they all share
the same database.  except the owner of jihang electronics has pretty
much memorised the *entire* database.

 that and the fact that they were willing to be there during the
holidays, tells me what i need to know.  they had time for a westerner
(me), when several of the suppliers were really very rude (clearly
didn't want any business).

 now, if i was looking to source 100,000 components it would be a
different matter: i'd go haggling on price.  but honestly it's worth
paying a small percentage more just to be able to go to the one single
supplier.