[Arm-netbook] https://www.crowdsupply.com/sifive/hifive1

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed Nov 30 09:58:18 GMT 2016

On Wednesday 30. November 2016 04.27.12 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> another 32-bit RISC-V embedded controller.  this one's 320mhz.  sadly
> only 48 pins on this one otherwise i'd seriously consider using it in
> the 15in laptop PCB2.

On the EE Times article about the Open-V, I think someone related to this was
discussing collaboration with someone representing the Open-V effort. I feel a
bit bad for the Open-V people now, given that this seems to be virtually ready
to ship, whereas the Open-V campaign is largely concerned with fabrication and
will only be delivering boards in over a year's time.

One thing I find interesting is this:

"Memory: 16 KB Instruction Cache, 16 KB Data Scratchpad"

Did I misunderstand or is the "scratchpad" effectively a data cache that is
also the full extent of the available memory? In other words, there seems to
not be any external memory. I guess that would make the board fit in with the
Arduino-like products it is compared to, but then one could argue that
"microcontroller" might be more accurate than "SoC".

Still, it looks like a promising start for a range of products.

Paul