[Arm-netbook] EOMA68 laptop housing battery control

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Nov 24 14:36:00 GMT 2016

---

On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 2:15 PM, Adam Van Ymeren <adam.vany at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 9:12 AM, Adam Van Ymeren <adam.vany at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 9:05 AM, Jonathan Frederickson
>> <silverskullpsu at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm curious, since unlike most laptops the computer is in a separate
>>> unit... is the charge level of the battery reported to the OS as it
>>> would be for a traditional laptop or phone? Would be interested to
>>> know if this is supported in general, only with certain CPU cards, or
>>> not at all.
>>
>> I would imagine the battery controller lives on the I2C bus which is
>> part of the EOMA68 pinout.
>
> Also as I understand it, this bus is a mandatory part of the standard,
> so any CPU card must contain an I2C bus and therefore will be able to
> talk to the battery controller (if that is indeed where the battery
> controller lives).
>
> I guess I should stop speculating, but this seems like a reasonable
> way to control the battery in an EOMA68 world.

 it's actually going to be connected to the STM32F072, which also
controls the power and has a RTC, and also controls the 320x240 LCD
display so that battery status can be displayed on that whilst the
Card is completely powered off.

so, someone will need to write either userspace or kernelspace drivers
to provide the information to whatever OS is running, as i am
focussing on hardware design.  that will need to be over the USB
interface to the STM32F072.