[Arm-netbook] Have you checked out this Open Source RISC-V-based 32-bit μC?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Nov 18 04:57:10 GMT 2016

---

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 9:09 PM, Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thursday 3. November 2016 15.59.16 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>> what's the name of the group behind it, and who is in that group?
>> there's been a lot of publications and discussions online about risc-v
>> - it should not be hard to find what they're planning as it is
>> extremely likely that it's been discussed online for several months if
>> not years.
>
> We at least know who is fabricating their product:
>
> https://www.crowdsupply.com/providers/electronics-fabrication/taiwan-
> semiconductor
>
> That's rather interesting because I had the impression that TSMC was really
> for people committing to huge volumes, with orders covered by highly secretive
> contracts, which isn't what you'd normally associate with a crowdfunding
> campaign. But maybe they like to keep their older foundries busy with smaller-
> volume orders like this.

 yeah i investigated TSMC some time ago, iirc they still have down to
.36 micron, typically used for power transistors and so on.  they'll
almost certainly have .18 micron and 65nm - all of these will be
highly cost-effective (lots of competition), not in huge demand, and
would also be a good proving-ground for an effort such as a RISC-V
slow-speed 32-bit processor.