[Arm-netbook] EOMA68 libre laptop and microdesktop, soon to launch

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri May 27 00:08:19 BST 2016

---

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 11:35 PM, Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thursday 26. May 2016 23.42.33 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>>
>>   _maybe_.  that's down to allwinner.  if they can get me the DDR
>> initialisation code that they linked into u-boot and so are required
>> to provide it, then i'll try a rush-job creating an A64 card.  but
>> it'll be tough.
>
> I'm sure it'll happen eventually. With the recent bad publicity around their
> kernel code, perhaps they'll see the benefits of cooperating a bit more with
> other people.

 interesting - what happened?  been too busy - any links?

>>  the jz4775 one i just haven't had time to investigate, i'll try to
>> get to it, but we haven't even an OS for that one yet.   the leemote
>> OS is old but would be a proof-of-concept if nothing else
>
> I guess this is with regard to FSF certification and whether you could offer
> the jz4775 within a RYF-branded campaign. And I guess that Debian is still out
> of the picture, which I think is the distro of choice for the MIPS Creator
> CI20 and CI40, those being perhaps the closest products to what you'd be
> offering.

 a modern kernel would be needed, the one i'm starting with is 3.0.8
(because that's what ingenic have that works) - any dependencies on
udev tied to later versions and it's game over for a recent OS without
a lot of extra work.

> Of course, offering no bundled operating system would also be an option.

 true.,, not ideal