[Arm-netbook] EOMA68 libre laptop and microdesktop, soon to launch

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu May 26 22:42:33 BST 2016

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 10:08 PM, Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:

> Good to hear that big things are finally happening! Not good to hear that
> you'd been unwell, however. Pace yourself, Luke! ;-)

 :)

>> spoke to josh gay about that, he confirmed that the FSF is in no way
>> concerned about the average technical user (which all of us are here
>> on arm-netbooks), it's when proprietary software is available and
>> installed via an easy click-point interface with absolutely no
>> warnings whatsoever.  so we've worked out the procedures for applying
>> for and then including a RYF-Certified product on the same launch page
>> as the rest.  it's very specific but we'll manage fine.
>
> I look forward to seeing what has been decided here.

 this is for the A20.  we have to apply for two exemptions, for the
MALI 3D GPU and for the CEDARX VPU, but what works in our favour -
bear in mind this is *only* for the "average end-user", absolutely in
no way is anyone who is competent to follow "command-line"
instructions included in the assessment, it really really is just the
"point-click" users - is that when you run "lspci" you get nothing.
when you run "lsusb" you get nothing.  in fact, unless you've
preinstalled certain software and compiled in certain modules (which
we won't do), it's *literally* impossible to even find out that the
GPU and the VPU are even there.

 also working in our favour is the reverse-engineered version of
libcedarx actually works.  normally if an exemption is applied for, if
the only available library is a proprietary one, it's a "strong
minus".  we still might get a "No, Sorry" based on the GPU alone.

> And will both the A20 and the jz4775 CPU cards be offered? Any others that
> might sneak in at the last moment, too?

  _maybe_.  that's down to allwinner.  if they can get me the DDR
initialisation code that they linked into u-boot and so are required
to provide it, then i'll try a rush-job creating an A64 card.  but
it'll be tough.

 the jz4775 one i just haven't had time to investigate, i'll try to
get to it, but we haven't even an OS for that one yet.   the leemote
OS is old but would be a proof-of-concept if nothing else