[Arm-netbook] 2 ideas

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sat Jul 30 18:28:39 BST 2016

---

On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 6:10 PM, Wolfgang Romey <hier at wolfgangromey.de> wrote:
> Am Freitag, 29. Juli 2016, 22:20:17 schrieb Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton:
>

>>  it's not harsh - it's realistic.  the evidence comes from their own
>> forums, with people asking them for security updates... which they
>> *COULDN'T PROVIDE* because they had based the Fairphone 1 around an
>> "abandonware" Mediatek GPL-violating processor.
> Of course, they made that mistake, but now they are delivering security-
> updates for the fairphone I.
>
> https://www.fairphone.com/2016/06/30/fairphone-1-upgrade-to-android-kitkat-4-4-coming-soon/

 goood.... but are they providing the full source code?  if not,
they're actually operating as a *Criminal Cartel* - as an Organised
Crime Syndicate!  and it's illegal to fund organised crime.  this is
not a joke.

>>  .... all they had to do was ask people in the software libre
>> community, "what's the best processor and design strategy to use which
>> will help us fufill the ethical sustainable considerations that we
>> hold dear".... they didn't do that... end-result: landfill.
>
> Yes. But they do care about landfill:
> https://www.fairphone.com/2016/07/14/closing-the-loop-the-garbage-collectors-of-the-mobile-industry/
>
> Is there any other smartphone producer, which is doing that too?

 there's several that indirectly reduce e-waste, they're listed on the
phonebloks.com web site.   irony is that there's no common standard
between any of them to share components.... whoops...

> This is another example:
>
> https://www.fairphone.com/2016/04/22/from-the-factory-to-you-packaging-the-fairphone-2/
>

>>  why are _they_ offering it?  why are they not providing full source
>> so that people can do the updates themselves?
>>

> You are of course right, but they learned for the Fairphone II:
>
> https://www.fairphone.com/2016/04/28/releasing-the-fairphone-2-open-operating-system/

 hooray!

>> > - they got 10 points on ifixit for the easy way to repair it and their
>> > modular construction.
>> >
>> > - the are using more conflict free minerals and there are better working
>> > conditions in as with the great players.
>>
>>  fantastic.  except they're not big enough to deal with the cartels in
>> the LCD manufacturing in order to ensure that conflict-free minerals
>> and manufacturing techniques are used there.  it's a start though...
>>
> You too are not big enough to deal with the cartells,

 i'm dealing with that by picking LCDs that are so hugely
mass-produced (and also not using MIPI) that they *have* to be "open".

> But as far as I
> understand it, there is nut much need to deal with them at this point. But, if
> you wanted  to be shure, that the EOMA68-Card only used conflict free materials
> and was produced under acceptable conditions, which is an ethical aspect too,
> you  you would have to go a long way. I think, Fairphone did not choose the
> right starting point. Your's seems to me a lot better.

 *sigh* i wish i had their marketing expertise though.

>> http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/hybrid_phone/ lot happening in
>> a very short amount of time.  this proposed phone design has a
>> hardware kill-switch on the modem.  cuts the power entirely.
>
> It would be great, if this could be come to life too.

 working on it.  slowly.  one thing at a time.