[Arm-netbook] 2 ideas

Wolfgang Romey hier at wolfgangromey.de
Sat Jul 30 18:10:43 BST 2016

Am Freitag, 29. Juli 2016, 22:20:17 schrieb Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton:

>  it's not harsh - it's realistic.  the evidence comes from their own
> forums, with people asking them for security updates... which they
> *COULDN'T PROVIDE* because they had based the Fairphone 1 around an
> "abandonware" Mediatek GPL-violating processor.
Of course, they made that mistake, but now they are delivering security-
updates for the fairphone I.

https://www.fairphone.com/2016/06/30/fairphone-1-upgrade-to-android-kitkat-4-4-coming-soon/

>  .... all they had to do was ask people in the software libre
> community, "what's the best processor and design strategy to use which
> will help us fufill the ethical sustainable considerations that we
> hold dear".... they didn't do that... end-result: landfill.

Yes. But they do care about landfill:
https://www.fairphone.com/2016/07/14/closing-the-loop-the-garbage-collectors-of-the-mobile-industry/

Is there any other smartphone producer, which is doing that too?

This is another example:

https://www.fairphone.com/2016/04/22/from-the-factory-to-you-packaging-the-fairphone-2/

>  why are _they_ offering it?  why are they not providing full source
> so that people can do the updates themselves?

You are of course right, but they learned for the Fairphone II:

https://www.fairphone.com/2016/04/28/releasing-the-fairphone-2-open-operating-system/

> > - they got 10 points on ifixit for the easy way to repair it and their
> > modular construction.
> >
> > - the are using more conflict free minerals and there are better working
> > conditions in as with the great players.
>
>  fantastic.  except they're not big enough to deal with the cartels in
> the LCD manufacturing in order to ensure that conflict-free minerals
> and manufacturing techniques are used there.  it's a start though...

You too are not big enough to deal with the cartells, But as far as I
understand it, there is nut much need to deal with them at this point. But, if
you wanted  to be shure, that the EOMA68-Card only used conflict free materials
and was produced under acceptable conditions, which is an ethical aspect too,
you  you would have to go a long way. I think, Fairphone did not choose the
right starting point. Your's seems to me a lot better.

> http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/hybrid_phone/ lot happening in
> a very short amount of time.  this proposed phone design has a
> hardware kill-switch on the modem.  cuts the power entirely.

It would be great, if this could be come to life too.

Wolfgang
--

Wolfgang Romey
Krokusstraße 37

geraspora: https://pod.geraspora.de/people/9002a1416a4e4a9d
loadaverage: https://loadaverage.org/hier
tox: wolfgang_romey at toxme.se

Bitte Anhänge nur in freien Formaten.
Die Nachricht ist signiert, der öffentliche Schlüssel wird auf Anfrage
zugeleitet.