[Arm-netbook] 2 ideas

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Jul 29 19:58:08 BST 2016

---

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 7:22 PM, Wolfgang Romey (hier)
<hier at wolfgangromey.de> wrote:
> Hello Luke,
>
> two ideas:
>
> Have you ever thought aboat contacting Fairphone?

 yeahhh... i've been in touch with them in the past (when i was in
holland).  even after the hard lessons of the GPL-violating Mediatek
"abandonware" they still haven't really got the message, bless 'em,
having gone with a spyware-riding Qualcomm chipset for the second
version.

> They have similar goals.
> Maybe you could write an guest-article on their blog. - It would be great, if
> you could partner with them in the future for producing the Card with their
> fair substances and fairer working conditions.

 have you heard the phrase, "sometimes you just gotta let the
train-wreck happen"?  Fairphone's team are trying hard: their hearts
are in the right place, but they have tackled something that has
ethical implications which can only be fully understood if you have an
*EXTREME* technical background and knowledge-set.

 the Fairphone team unfortunately do *NOT* yet have the level of
technical knowledge required to understand that their ethical goals
simply CANNOT be met without that full technical knowledge and
background.

 i've tried... several people have also independently tried... they're
"Not Getting The Message"... so we just have to "let the train-wreck
happen".

 give it another 2 years: when their second phone also turns into a
privacy and land-fill train-wreck due to qualcomm "abandonware"
policies, security vulnerabilities and privacy violations from the
qualcomm chipset, causing people to throw ANOTHER $EUR 500 phone into
landfill in disgust, **THEN** they will be ready to listen.

> Would it be possible to get a card wit preinstalled nextcloud?

 i don't see why not - what is it?