[Arm-netbook] crowdfunding page is live -- and different CPUs for the future

Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo manuel.montezelo at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 22:10:39 BST 2016

>> I suppose that using custom co-processors/accelerators is an alternative
>> possibility for video/display, but probably not easy.  Some uses of the
>> SoC (e.g. micro-servers) probably don't care anyway,
>
> yeah they wouldn't.  that U500 would actually make a great EOMA200 processor.
>
>> but I understand
>> that it's part of the EOMA68 standard.
>
> it's not that, it's that the power requirements to run a separate
>video IC are just as heavy if not heavier than the actual processor
>itself.  even just running the PCIe lanes between the video and main
>processor - driving the voltages up and down - can take up a
>significant proportion of the EOMA68 power budget.

Yeah, got that.

What I meant is that even if many people who would use it as a
micro-server wouldn't be worried about the lack of video acceleration,
it always was (AFAIK) a hard requirement for the EOMA68 standard itself
-- being able to render video at FullHD or similar.

So it is not an option to ship without GPU if one wants to meet the
requirements of the EOMA68 as defined now.

Cheers.
--
Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo <manuel.montezelo at gmail.com>