[Arm-netbook] 12th update

Xavi Drudis Ferran xdrudis at tinet.cat
Mon Jul 18 09:13:26 BST 2016

I had missed the laptop comparison in crowdsupply.com.

I guess it is too late to change anything, but anyway, just in case
someone thinks the links are relevant:

On planned obsolescence:
" The possibility of a manufacturer actually deciding to SHUT DOWN such laptops is not unthinkable. "

Other kind of computers (Revolv home automation) have already been shut down
( I think, all news I have are from one month before the deadline)

http://boingboing.net/2016/04/05/google-reaches-into-customers.html

They announce they will OTA-brick all of 300$-a-piece Revolv home
automation hubs in May 2015. Customers are left to buy something else
(if they aren't already fed up).

Curious that you left out GTA04, neo900, Pyra. And the refurbished RYF
laptops, which are (software) efforts to recycle old standard laptops
with libreboot, and so have some FS and eco conciousness to them (by the way
the Acer 201P hints that the Rockchip 3288 SOC might be usable in a
future CPU card ?
https://libreboot.org/docs/hcl/c201.html
if power allows
http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/02/17/power-consumption-of-amlogic-s812-and-rockchip-rk3288-tv-boxes/
- not that Rockchip is a good company, from what I hear about GPL violations -
anyway fixing the boot with JZ4775 cpu card maybe is more prioritary than
designing new CPU cards).

But I learned about a lot of projects I didn't know. Thank you.
I also didn't know Tegra laptops were locked down. I though there was
The Jetson TK1 board that people used with 100% free software

http://embedded-computing.com/news/engineers-just-hours-get-new-nvidia-jetson-tk1/

But then Debian says it needs two blobs (firmware for graphics and USB
xHCI, I don't know how usable it is without these)

https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/NVIDIA/Jetson-TK1

I hoped some Tegra K1 laptop could be eventually liberated (K1 chromebooks
have coreboot, no libreboot yet, and your update hints at they have
already been found unliberable because of DRM in the laptops?).

Btw, sorry for the trivia and mixing topics, but are there images
available of the different colours offered for the EOMA68 laptop
housing ?