[Arm-netbook] FSFE discussion list message

Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo manuel.montezelo at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 23:17:50 BST 2016

Hi,

>Hello again,
>
>I've also posted a message to the FSFE discussion list about the campaign:
>
>http://mail.fsfeurope.org/pipermail/discussion/2016-July/011110.html
>
>There have been some discussions on that list about open hardware and the
>threats posed by proprietary hardware and the surveillance features of various
>CPU families, notably these threads:
>
>http://mail.fsfeurope.org/pipermail/discussion/2016-April/010912.html
>
>(Featuring an attempt to fund a POWER8-based workstation.)
>
>http://mail.fsfeurope.org/pipermail/discussion/2016-June/011100.html
>
>(Hopes for "truly free processor architectures", which might not be such a
>fantasy after all, given improvements in Free Software for programmable logic
>and synthesis.)

I just posted about this in another thread of this mailing list,
specifically about RISC-V.  Hopefully somebody will make some in silicon
rather than FPGA, either lowrisc, SiFive, or somebody else.

Also I forgot to mention the SH4 architecture with patents expired or
expiring, and the intention to create the "J" cores, we'll see how it
goes.

>I rather hope for a solid discussion of the merits of the campaign, as opposed
>to people just claiming that it can't be done, won't work, or whatever.

I really believe that it CAN be done and that it WILL work, sooner or
later ;)

--
Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo <manuel.montezelo at gmail.com>