[Arm-netbook] fosdem2016

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Feb 2 20:10:27 GMT 2016

---

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 10:22 PM, Wookey <wookey at wookware.org> wrote:
> +++ Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton [2016-01-26 09:50 +0000]:
>> wookey do you know if anyone from the arm64 vero team are going to be
>> in brussels?  it would be nice to be able to say "hello this is a
>> low-power laptop blah blah... and if you want a higher-end one you
>> want to talk to _these_ people right here..." - i'll ask the
>> powerpc-laptop people as well
>
> Sorry - didn't see this message in time. The main drivers (Andy
> Simpkins, Steve McIntyre and Daniel Silverstone) were all not there
> this year. Leif Lindholm was present.

 if you speak to them please do mention that the casework's there for
them to adapt.  i honestly doubt very much that they will be able to
source the required connectors that will be the right height.  laptops
are designed PCB+case+connectors - many connectors are *custom-made*
so that they fit exactly at the right height (mid-mounted), and the
tooling is often scrapped when the laptop itself is end-of-life.

> Thing is, that project is stalled because a) Andy is working on both
> another project and deisgning/building a new house and b) they have
> failed to get AMD to commit to chip supply. So currently your design
> is looking a lot more like it might actually happen than theirs.

*sigh* yeahh, it's quite likely that AMD hasn't actually got *anyone*
who's committed to it... which is precisely why they should give them
some ICs due to the extremely high strategic value (debian developers
for goodness sake!!)... but can you get that across to AMD's marketing
and Directors?  mmm...

> Good to see you at the weekend, and have a 'heft' of the machine.

 yeah you too - it's been a bit weird focussing so heavily on this
stuff for such a long time.

 1.1kg - it's peanuts.  i'm kinda confused as to why 15.6in laptops
are 2.3kg and above.

> It was nice :-) I feel inspired to update my eoma card and print some
> parts...

 awesome.  well, the rev 1.1 card that you have should work with a bit
of modification - there's a couple of jumper leads you need to run,
i've modded one here - you'll only be able to run the LCD at 100%
brightness unless you compile up a software-PCM linux kernel module
and do a few other tricks.... just running 3.3v to the pin that's now
allocated as "PWM0" is the easiest temporary solution.

 but, it would only be needed for a few months: i need to do another
production run (rev 2.5) of the EOMA68-A20 PCB so there are more on
the way.  ethernet is going, so you need to be prepared for that, and
have a USB-ETH dongle kicking around.