[Arm-netbook] fosdem report

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon Feb 1 15:56:28 GMT 2016

On Monday 1. February 2016 15.14.56 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> http://rhombus-tech.net/articles/fosdem2016/
>
> awesome.  i'm completely out of steam now, happily relaxing at the
> 2go4 hostel, going ice-skating this evening and back in den haag
> tomorrow :)

Nice report and a nice experience, it would seem! Hopefully, a lot more people
see the point in doing this now.

Thinking back to your interview the other day, you mentioned using EOMA-68 (or
another EOMA specification) with digital cameras, and I must admit to have
been thinking about this myself recently, what with the "cameras are just
computers now" rhetoric one reads when perusing camera/photography discussion
forums (along with the retort that certain cameras "are only computers, not
cameras"). Matters got compounded somewhat when Samsung decided to retreat
from interchangeable lens camera production, according to vague announcements,
behavioural observations, and the occasional rumour.

I'd also been thinking a bit about existing PCMCIA/CardBus devices, and your
mention of a card that fits into a camera and which provides ports for USB
devices finally reminded me to dig out a card that I'd been thinking of, one
that you might be amused/interested to see again. So I took the liberty of
adding a page to the wiki:

http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/usb_port_card

Feel free to move or remove it if you don't think it fits in. (Or, indeed, to
copy the image into the wiki as an attachment to keep the content in one
place.)

The PCMCIA card size occupies about the same area as the screen on my camera,
which is smaller than many DSLRs, and so the idea shouldn't be regarded as
particularly crazy.

Paul