[Arm-netbook] Adapteva Parallella: Thoughts?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Dec 23 07:20:05 GMT 2016

---

On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 7:02 AM, John Luke Gibson <eaterjolly at gmail.com> wrote:
> Obviously it's been mentioned before, since it's on the <a
> href=http://rhombus-tech.net/adapteva/>wiki</a>.
> There isn't much information on the page however.
> The core doesn't work standalone, however it is completely open with
> an HDL and a schematic; it is in the direction that a puristic libre
> system would be if not "technically" all the way there. The board
> itself has both(I think?) an arm and a x86 on board, simply because
> adapteva is too new to have enough libraries ported for a full os (I
> think?).
> Now their boards are $99 which is a jump from $40, so my question
> would be was price differential the reason why it wasn't included or
> where there too many compatibility/tooling issues?

 i believe i spoke to them (it may have been a different company), if
i recall correctly (which i probably don't) their core PCB (which they
haven't released) is 12-layer, which means "insanely expensive to
produce".

 mostly it's down to practicality of cost, and time.  if people offer
to *pay* for these boards to be made, i'll get them done, no problem.