[Arm-netbook] EOMA68 and display upsampling

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Dec 23 03:38:13 GMT 2016

On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 12:00 AM, Tor, the Marqueteur
<Marqueteur at fineartmarquetry.com> wrote:
> I was reading through the recent archives, and the question of displays
> and upsampling caught my eye.
>
> On list it was noted that upsampling is an expensive operation (and it
> certainly is), but I'm not sure it has to be.

 turns out that there's line-buffer ICs rather than full framebuffer,
which will be cheaper.

> As I recall, most LCDs when driven with a lower resolution than native,
> will simply repeat interspersed rows/columns as needed to fill the
> display.  It looks dreadful, but it works.

 .. but they need to be scaled on an arbitrary basis on both row *and*
column.  so you need at least a line-buffer to store a couple of rows
so that you can use samplerate conversion on y coordinates as well as
x.

> Alternatively, is there any reason a display for type I couldn't be set
> to recognize a type II 1366x768 and display it in the centre of the
> display to avoid artifacts?

 bleuch :)  it's not unreasonable but i think you'd find that users
complain a lot!

>  Or should such a display have a button to
> switch modes so that it can display full screen with anything?

 honestly i don't care: if people want to make Housings that do that,
it's up to them: market forces will decide whether their product is
successful or not.