[Arm-netbook] Laptop Housing Questions

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Dec 20 06:07:04 GMT 2016

---

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 11:19 PM, Jonathan Frederickson
<silverskullpsu at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  mmm LCD is around 4.  if you play an audio file at full volume it'll
>> take another 3W.
>
> Oh interesting. If that's representative of other similar LCDs (and I
> suspect it is) that explains why we don't really see laptops with e.g.
> 24-hour battery life regardless of how little power the CPU uses.

 they're usually much much worse than that, and of course it goes up
on a square law.  A 7in 1024x600 can be as little as 1.5 watts.  9in
maybe 2.5.  this 15.6in 1366x768, it's very unusuall in that you can
run it at only 30hz and thus halve the power consumption of the
electronics part (at least), also because it's a lower pixel refresh
rate (because there's less pixels, duh) it's also lower power.