[Arm-netbook] Warning about tablets/netbooks with detachable keyboards

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Dec 16 10:07:57 GMT 2016

On 12/16/16, dumblob <dumblob at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) follow http://www.wikihow.com/Change-Keyboard-Layout-in-Ubuntu
>
> 2) switch to the newly added layout of your choice
>
> 3) simulate unwanted interruption (e.g. detach internal or external
> physical keyboard and reattach it)
>
> 4) enjoy a different layout than the one you switched to in step 2
>
> 5) try to correct this wrong behavior in a way, that it won't appear under
> any circumstances in all mainstream Linux distributions and BSDs and others
> (and I'm not talking only about X, but also about text and framebuffer
> consoles, Wayland, and Mir); of course
>
> 6) tell us all in this list what everything in the whole stack needed to be
> patched, how much, and why exactly
'
 if it's a known problem that's simply down to someone, somewhere, in
the GNU/Linux OS software stack not getting their act together, or if
it's something strange such as changing the keyboard layout in
software as opposed to plugging in the *correct* keyboard with a
default hardware layout... then it's well beyond the scope of this
list.

 the reasons for that are as follows:

 (1) the purpose of this project is to ethically develop eco-conscious
hardware, riding off the back of as much that is already "mass-volume"
as possible.  components, OSes, user-bases, and so on, with a
bootstrapping method to get there.

 (2) the project is not yet at the point where it's large enough in
scope to have spare funds available to go funding arbitrary software
projects, and even if it did, from experience it's been learned that
providing funding to software libre projects is often *detrimental*...
so would not be a good idea anyway.  instead, it would be better to
work *with* them - raise bugreports - and let them get on with it.

 so.

 can i suggest, if you have discovered a problem with a particular
GNU/Linux distribution, especially if you have a hardware-related
repro case (which you appear to have, above), to report it via their
bugtracker.  with good bugreports, clearly written, good developers
tend to appreciate that, and, as long as they have funding and/or
time, tend to get to them in good time.

 if however you *don't* report it - and i will not be doing so (i have
too much else to do, i have to focus on hardware) - it will *remain*
broken, indefinitely... or until someone else notices and reports it.