[Arm-netbook] new development laptop needed, looking at dell xps 13 9350

Julie Marchant onpon4 at riseup.net
Tue Dec 6 18:25:45 GMT 2016

On 12/06/2016 01:05 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>  it seems to be ok up to a point on the macbook pro one, but beyond a
> certain point the SSD appears to go into "maintenance" for up to a few
> seconds at a time, ceasing to deal with writes and reads.  generally
> this is bad :)

That's not what I meant. Flash memory (which most SSDs use) has a
definite limit to the number of writes that can be performed on it. Once
that limit is reached, it's garbage. Swap being used on a Flash-based
SSD may very well be the quickest way to push it to the end of its life
for the same reason it slows your system down to a crawl: it's constant
disk writing. Having very little empty space while you're doing this
(preventing wear leveling from being as effective) would make this even
worse.

--
Julie Marchant
https://onpon4.github.io