[Arm-netbook] libre hardware

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Aug 26 04:29:27 BST 2016

---

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 4:24 AM, Christopher Havel
<laserhawk64 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 11:19 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
> <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 4:14 AM, Christopher Havel
>> <laserhawk64 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > The honest truth is that the triple-fistful of passives in there should
>> > be
>> > replaced by a trio of dedicated flash-DAC chips -- far less crude and
>> > far
>> > more effective.
>>
>>  .... but about $12 - as much as the rest of the BOM! - compared to around
>> $1
>

> But it's the *professional* way to do it. I'd say it's worth the extra money
> not to have a bunch of EEs not faint dead away on the sight of it... not to
> mention all the four-letter words Dave Jones will spout when he gets his
> mitts on one... ;) trust me, he'll make the air bright blue.

 lol - well if i can find a LOW COST RGB/TTL-to-VGA converter IC - i
remember there was one from Chrontel that i saw used in the
gpl-violating CT-PC89e years back - then i'll *consider* it.  i'll
have to spend at least 2 weeks on doing a redesign plus component
sourcing.... it's a lot of extra time.

 bear in mind that we set the pledge levels based on component sourcing...