[Arm-netbook] Why Free hardware fails

pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) pelzflorian at pelzflorian.de
Thu Aug 25 19:20:14 BST 2016

On 08/25/2016 05:29 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>  1846 and climing (yay!)  just looking at the numbers it's 1450 actual
> unique backers.  which is awesome.

Unique orders or really unique backers, as in unique delivery addresses?
I have placed new orders when I thought of new uses for another card
(e.g. running a web/mail server from home). (Since you said you’d ship
them separately, I don’t think it matters for shipping; it’s just
surprising so many people ordered a card without case/cables/breakout
board/…)

>> By the way, have you considered watching out for government procurements
>> once more cards are produced?
>
>  i look forward to working with government organisations because
> embarrassingly it'll be one of the ways that they can guarantee that
> foreign agents can't compromise them through the hardware spying
> backdoors that THEY ARRANGED TO GO INTO INTEL PROCESSORS.

Sadly I presume only cost savings and perhaps modular computing are
convincing to typical government organizations. They are legally bound
to save costs, but most officials presumably are not used to considering
backdoors a relevant problem and not easy to convince that EOMA68 is the
right solution.

>> Your EOMA68 cards probably are better and
>> cheaper thin clients for VNC than what my university currently uses
>> (which are too slow to handle VNC and only do plain X11).
>
>  yeahh i've set up xrdp successfully on linux and then used rdesktop
> to connect, it handles logins and session disconnects really well.
>
> l.

This is great news. Thank you!

Regards,
Florian