[Arm-netbook] Verifying firmware

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Aug 23 19:06:31 BST 2016

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 6:50 PM, Henrik Nordström
<henrik at henriknordstrom.net> wrote:
> sön 2016-08-21 klockan 21:55 +0100 skrev Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton:
>

>> > From a security point of view, open source code
>>
>>  no it isn't... *libre* source code is...
>
> I would love to hear your elaboration on how libre source code is more
> secure than open source. I don't see how libre have any relevance
> there.
>
> Having access to the complete readable sourcecode and being developed
> in a trustworthy environment is very relevant. But that is by no means
> unique to libre or even proven to be an natural effect of libre.

 thanks for picking up on that, henrik.  so you're saying that if the
source is "open" it's no different from "libre" because in both cases
the full source is available.

 so it would only be instances where the source *isn't* available (and
the binary was encrypted with an RSA key, then loaded into a separate
virtual memory space which was made inaccessible to even read)... but
that would, yes, be an instance where source... wasn't available :)