[Arm-netbook] Shipping costs

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Aug 12 03:42:52 BST 2016

---

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 3:19 AM, Muhammed Adel Afzal <adel at ncf.ca> wrote:
> If the gift is defective in some way ... will you replace/repair/refund?

 i'll be making absolutely sure that everything works before they go
out, and then make absolutely sure that they're packed carefully as
well.  bear in mind that the laptop is a kit!   as this is not a
"business" - there's going to be barely enough cash to get things to
everybody - we can't offer a warranty unless i added something like an
extra 20% on top of the existing pledge levels in order to have
sufficient spare cash to be able to order a set of spares, and if we
did that chances would be high that people went "yikes that's way too
much!!" and we would automatically have less backers... thus risk not
reaching the MOQs.

 if we were set up as an established business - or if we had even one
extra sponsor willing to full-time fund the project with an extra...
say... $5,000 to $10,000 over the course of the past 2 years, this
would be a radically different proposition.  we would have had enough
cash to create full working prototypes, to present them to the FSF and
get the RYF Certification in advance, for example.  the videos that
we've done would have been with fully-working prototypes.  i would
have been able to show people those prototypes at hopeconf 2016 in
NYC, and much much more.

 instead we're juust about managing, which is in many ways a good
thing because you can be absolutely certain that we're not spending
money frivolously!  it's a bit seat-of-the-pants but i'm happy with
the way things have turned out.