[Arm-netbook] The opposite of the EOMA-68 laptop

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Aug 8 15:58:45 BST 2016

---

On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 3:48 PM, David Boddie <david at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> I'm more of a desktop user these days but even I can see the benefits of
> a modular laptop design. It was something highlighted to me during my recent
> reboot of my old laptop:
>
> http://www.boddie.org.uk/david/www-repo/Personal/Updates/2016/2016-08-07.html
>
> One thing that is highlighted very early on the EOMA68 campaign page is the
> cost of getting a laptop fixed. Part of that is the need to return to a
> single vendor or support company for repairs, especially when a laptop is
> within the warranty period.
>
> It's not always the case that you get everything fixed at zero cost under
> warranty, and there are always time costs and secondary expenses associated
> with shipping a broken product back to the vendor.
>
> Anyway, I just thought it would be interesting to show the inside of a laptop
> that probably blows through the EOMA-68 laptop's power budget several times
> over - just check out that cooling solution! ;-)

 i know, man... :)

 you joined quite recently, i don't know if you've seen these:

 http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/laptop_15in/news/EOMA68_Libre_15.6in_Laptop_partially_assembled/
 http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/laptop_15in/news/PCB1_prototype_progress_26sep2015/
 http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/laptop_15in/news/PCB1_LCD_operational_14dec2015/

 and although it's low-resolution, the video here gives a full walkthrough:
 http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/laptop_15in/news/Component_walkthrough_pre_assembly/

 ... bit of a difference, eh?