[Arm-netbook] ARM Cortex-A15

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Aug 5 18:38:48 BST 2016

---

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 6:21 PM, Xavi Drudis Ferran <xdrudis at tinet.cat> wrote:
> El Fri, Aug 05, 2016 at 03:43:31PM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton deia:
>> ---
>> crowd-funded eco-conscious hardware: https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68
>>

>> On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 3:35 PM, Wolfgang Romey (hier)
>> <hier at wolfgangromey.de> wrote:
>> > Hallo Luke,
>> >
>> > surely you know the ARM Cortex-A15.
>>
>>  yes.  it's the much-higher-power-performance variant of the A15.  as
>> such about the only possible SoCs we could put into EOMA68 if they use
>> A15 is if they were single-core.
>>

> I'm not sure I understand Luke's text. Are you saying that OMAP5432
> (the SOC in the Pyra, dual A15 cores + dual small M4 cores + etc)
> dissipates or consumes too much power for EOMA-68 ?

 too much power.. 4.7 watts to do video playback is far too
uncomfortable.  5.2 watts and the power will be hard-cut without
warning by the Housing's external PMICs (current limited to 1A @ 5V).

 but, more than that: the reason why i'm not including the OMAP5 range
is because Texas Instruments refuse to allow access to it.

 the only reason that the pyra team is allowed access is because of
the big splash and P.R. that went into the pandora, they were
permitted access to the OMAP4.. thus the relationship is
pre-established and they could gain access to the OMAP5.

 for everybody else, the OMAP4 and OMAP5 is considered
"mass-volume"... and is also BXPA "Weapons-Grade" Export-restricted...
despite the fact that it's manufactured in Taiwan and that boards are
usually made in the Far East.

 TI have .. err... bureaucracy problems, shall we say.