[Arm-netbook] ARM Cortex-A15

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Aug 5 15:43:31 BST 2016

---

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 3:35 PM, Wolfgang Romey (hier)
<hier at wolfgangromey.de> wrote:
> Hallo Luke,
>
> surely you know the ARM Cortex-A15.

 yes.  it's the much-higher-power-performance variant of the A15.  as
such about the only possible SoCs we could put into EOMA68 if they use
A15 is if they were single-core.

> I would like the drawbacks of the PYRA.
> Can you please, if you have the time, tell me something about it.

 the pyra uses the OMAP5 which is fine... i just won't use it because
of PowerVR.  every single company that has ever gotten involved with a
PowerVR GPU has had absolute hell from its users.  that includes
Intel, with their early Atom series about a decade ago.

> Especially
> the GPU, are there any gpl violations of the producers of the Cortex A15 and
> why you did not choose it for the eoma68. I do not find it in your comparison
> of the processors.

 that's because Cortex A15 is a *type of processor* - it's a
licenseable hard macro from ARM - not an *actual* processor make/model
in and of itself.

 remember, ARM licenses processor *designs*, they do **NOT** actually
*MAKE* processors.  they're what's called a "fabless semiconductor
design company".