[Arm-netbook] storage options for EOMA68

Nick Hardiman nick at internetmachines.co.uk
Thu Aug 4 08:23:12 BST 2016

I have to break these things down so I can get them into my neanderthal head, so my apologies if this is obvious to everyone already. Is this a reasonable summary of the storage options for EOMA68?

I looked at some old photos and the EOMA-68 page, and I reckon these are the data storage options. By data storage I mean memory, disk space, or - to talk oldskool - any input/output device.

EOMA68 data storage options
---
1. micro-SD card
2. USB flash drive (AKA USB stick, pen drive, external NAND)
3. internal NAND
4. mechanical hard disk
5. Solid State Disk

file transfer speeds
--
1 is the slowest, 5 is the fastest.

If you want to run something that thrashes the storage, like an e-mail server, stick the files on a disk.

data storage capacity
--
1 is the smallest, and 5 the biggest.

Using a micro-SD card is roughly the same as using as a small cloud server - enough space to store the OS, a bunch of applications, and have some left over.

If you want to run something that chomps through storage, like a database server, stick the files on a disk.

sockets for attaching another mass storage device
--
USB2
There's a micro-USB socket on one side of the board, and another USB interface via the PCMCIA socket (or whatever you call the big pin connector housing).

SD/MMC
beside the USB socket

SATA III
via the PCMCIA socket

I just realized I’ve been dropping the hyphen from EOMA-68. Oops.

links
--
old photos
http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/news/