[Arm-netbook] eoma68-jz4775 x-ray pictures

Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo manuel.montezelo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 19:59:46 BST 2016

>> Your example of synaptic and stuff also needs running as root.
>[...]
> this type of faulty logical reasoning is rampant amongst
>non-technical people.  they *genuinely* believe that it is their fault
>when something goes wrong, so are completely afraid to do anything -
>to experiment, to tinker and to step outside of the box.

Well, that was kind of my point.

To enable non-free repos in Debian throught synaptic or whatever way
that you want, you need root, and many people will not do this [1],
neither in FSF-blessed distros nor in Debian.

But then, if one dares to use root and install files locally, or add
repo locations and so on, it can be done as easily in Debian as in
Trisquel/gNewSense -- just following a clear 3 step instruction in a
website, and that's it [2].

FSF considers that Debian enables people to use non-free software too
easily, even if it only happens when:

a) one installs the distribution in the device for the first time and
   *decides* to enable non-free repos -- which people with pre-installed
   devices will not do

b) or after that, when one *knowingly* (and as "root") enables Debian's
   clearly labeled "non-free" for some reason (or worse, 3rd party
   repos), containing non-free software -- which is also possible and as
   easy to do in FSF-blessed distros

c) or the many other cases explained in [2] -- no difference with
   FSF-blessed distros

So, as far as I can tell, the users are not mislead into using free
software when using Debian compared to FSF-blessed distros, or
collections of software like F-Droid that they do recommend.

But it's true that probably you will *not* get RYF badges if you decide
to use Debian as is.

(I think that it's worth asking them, though, perhaps they can be
persued if it's preinstalled with "non-free" disabled).

[1] There are stats flying around about percentage of people who root
    their phones being higher than 20%.  Even if I find it hard to
    believe, I think that it's much higher than fractions of 1% as you
    believe.

[2] Or use the browser, or qemu, or wine, to run non-free programs; or
    install non-free add-ons; or all the other cases explained in the
    reply to Paul's email.

Cheers.
--
Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo <manuel.montezelo at gmail.com>