[Arm-netbook] eoma68-jz4775 x-ray pictures

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Apr 29 16:24:35 BST 2016

---

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 3:53 PM, Elena ``of Valhalla''
<elena.valhalla at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2016-04-29 at 14:21:12 +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>>  that's fine, because it's outside of the remit of the company that
>> got the RYF Certificate.  skype is *not* in a GNU repository, or in
>> the debian repository, or in any repository at all.  it's not
>
> actually, skype is in one ubuntu repository, which if I'm not mistaken
> at least trisquel users could add
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Skype

 sounds about right.

> 3rd party repositories for other proprietary software are often
> available and adding them usually requires just about the same level of
> tech-expertise as adding non-free to debian (or to gNewSense).

 exactly.  and i'm counting on exactly that.  in order to receive its
Certification, gNewSense will have had to have done something pretty
much exactly as [either of] Scenario (1) or (2) - it's just that they
will have also gone a bit further and added some "branding" packages
(logos, etc.)

>>  i don't really like to use the words "idiots" - let's call them
>> "average end-users" instead (examples include "grandma" or "busy
>> secretary" or "7-year-old" or "49-year-old farm mechanic and cattle
>> breeder")
>
> actually, 'grandma' tends to be quite discriminatory and offensive,
> considering that a woman can easily be of grandma age and still be an IT
> professional (probably near retirement, but not necessarily).

 then increase the age in your mind sufficiently so that the age
avoids any such discrimination and offense, and/or qualify the word in
such a way so that it excludes technically-competent people.  i trust
that you understand that.  being now 46 i forget sometimes that my
grandma was about 70 when i was 10.  if she was still alive there's no
way she would cope with a libre operating system, let alone an
FSF-Endorseable one.

 if you know of an appropriate word which describes people who are of
the 1930s to 1950s generation, for whom technology is sheer
bewilderment instead of a joy, please do let me know what that word
is.  otherwise, please assume that that is what is meant, and, without
prejudice or offense, adjust your mindset and focus to accommodate
that, without creating a distraction from the goal [see below].

>>  average end-users simply cannot cope with the "jumping through hoops"
>> - they haven't got time.  if they really need to, they'll go buy a
>> windows PC.  or a mac.  and that's fine.  we're not catering to them,
>> and neither is the FSF.
>
> so it is fine for anybody who is not a tech expert to be forced to buy a
> mainstream spying device, while software freedom is just for people who
> can afford spending their time jumping through hoops?

 i'm having difficulty understanding the question - i can't parse it
properly - as it covers too many topics at once in a single sentence,
and, more than that, i don't follow its purpose or the motivation for
asking it.

the goal is to see brought into existence a modern, secure,
minimum-maintenance FSF-Endorseable OS that covers a wide range of
architectures, so that EOMA68 products can be sold and be upgraded
over the next 10-15 years seamlessly with a minimum amount of fuss by
either the technical individuals maintaining EOMA68 products, or the
end-users themselves, regardless of the underlying hardware
architecture that is available now or in the future.

 would answering your question help or hinder that goal?  would it be
time well spent to pursue answering it?

 if you can clarify your question, and/or explain to me how an answer
to your question would specifically - and exclusively - assist and
further that specific goal (and not introduce any scope-creep in that
goal), i'll be happy to answer it.  would that be ok with you?  if i
don't hear from you i'll assume "no" and i trust that's also okay.

 we have limited resources and time, and we have to start somewhere.
the focus therefore has to be quite specific, and to begin at a
leverage-point that can be expanded later on to cover much more than
is currently being tackled.

 i trust that you understand that, and are fine with having to keep to
a very narrow initial and achievable focus at this exact moment in
time.