[Arm-netbook] eoma68-jz4775 x-ray pictures

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Apr 28 09:10:54 BST 2016

---

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 8:55 AM, Elena ``of Valhalla''
<elena.valhalla at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2016-04-25 at 14:34:15 +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 2:07 PM, Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
>> > Debian is available for mipsel.
>>  ... but debian isn't FSF-Endorseable,
>
> but its main repository has been recognised as a valid distribution to
> use to check whether some bit of hardware is compatibile with free
> software:
>
> https://www.fsf.org/news/fsf-and-debian-join-forces-to-help-free-software-users-find-the-hardware-they-need

  ah good find elena.

 "While the FSF does not include Debian on this list because the
Debian project provides a repository of nonfree software, the FSF does
acknowledge that Debian's main repository, which by default is the
only place packages come from, is completely free."

 i've been speaking with josh gay very recently, so the FSF
Endorsement criteria are very clear to me: basically, josh explained
that by allowing people to have an RYF Certification, they are in
effect promoting the FSF "Trademark", and are therefore DIRECTLY
working as agents for and on behalf of the FSF.

 if there is *anything*that could potentially bring that trademark and
the FSF into disrepute, then they simply cannot take the risk of
giving you an RYF Certificate.

 examples of that would be:

 * the main landing page selling the RYF-Endorsed product downloads
and executes arbitrary non-free programs (usually javascript but java
and flash would count as well) in the end-user's web browser.

 * the product contains "temptations" to install proprietary programs
(such as, there's only exclusively non-free hardware functionality
available) and the process by which installation of that non-free
proprietary software is not only easy but is *ACTIVELY* encouraged.

 so on that score, for example, ubuntu is totally... ahh.... {insert
appropriate term here}.

 however, debian definitely counts as well, because by installing
synaptics package manager (which is easy), you can then add "non-free"
repositories (easy), then (easily) download non-free programs.  and
that would bring the FSF's entire Charter and purpose into disrepute.

 i have to check, but my feeling is, if they removed the nonfree GPG
keyring from the standard debian-archive-keyring package and placed it
into a debian-archive-keyring-nonfree package, which *wasn't* signed
by default in a special version of debian-installer, All Would Be Well
In FSF Land.

 of course, standard debian-installers would then have _two_ keyring
packages to download.

 all of this i should actually be able to code up myself, by redoing
that initial package and making sure that there's a separate
(overriding) repository with pinning on that replacement
debian-archive-keyring package.  means recompiling debian-installer
but that's cool.