[Arm-netbook] eoma68-jz4775 x-ray pictures

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon Apr 25 14:07:59 BST 2016

On Monday 25. April 2016 13.24.46 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

>  now, as far as picking OSes is concerned that are FSF-Endorseable,
> we've got an interesting situation where we'll need some porting and
> packaging help.  there basically aren't any good libre OSes for ARM
> (due to canonical's recent blatant GPL violations and record on
> privacy, those based on ubuntu *not* being "good", plus trisquel is
> currently based on ubuntu 8.04 which doesn't have an ARM port), and
> the only one for MIPS is gnewsense and that's been custom-targetted at
> the leemote laptop.

Debian is available for mipsel. If it weren't, I wouldn't be able to put it on
the Ben NanoNote (jz4725) and there probably wouldn't be any cross-compilers
in Debian for mipsel, either. I can't say much about the desktop stack here
because the Ben doesn't have enough memory to run something like KDE. ;-)

>  the thing is though, that the current situation for
> FSF-Endorseability of hardware is even worse than it appears, due to
> the simple fact that there *aren't* any modern FSF-Endorseable x86
> processors.... period.   *all* intel processors of the past 15 years
> require a proprietary RSA-signed piece of firmware in order to boot,
> and all AMD processors require a licensed proprietary piece of
> firmware from Intel because AMD licensed intel's HDMI interface.
>
>  so... err.... basically, the approach that i'm taking, slow as it's
> progressing, actually stands to be the first modern "Good Enough
> Computing" [1] hardware that *can* actually be FSF-Endorsed.

There's been a discussion on the FSFE discussion list about this, with someone
advocating the POWER architecture for high-end products as an alternative to
x86(-64). I think people are realising that they might need some other irons
in the fire.

http://mail.fsfeurope.org/pipermail/discussion/2016-April/010912.html

Paul