[Arm-netbook] Interchangeable screen

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Sep 17 14:04:17 BST 2015

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 1:28 PM, GaCuest <gacuest at gmail.com> wrote:
> En 17 de septiembre de 2015 en 1:07:53, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton (lkcl at lkcl.net) escrito:

> However, although change the screen would be for users with more knowledge, we want to make it as simple as possible, and perhaps using FPC cables and screws complicates it too.

 it's up to you.  an FPC cable at least a replacement can be bought.
those connectors, once damaged, it's game over.

 consider this: if a console is dropped - and it will get dropped -
those neodymium magnets aren't going to hold, are they?  that will
result in those B2B connectors being ripped off the PCB, quite likely
damaging both the LCD board *and* the main board.

 with screws, that's not going to happen, is it?

 and even if it did (if someone dropped the console *explicitly* after
taking the screws out), well.... the FPC cable might get torn out, but
it will be the weakest chain in the link and would die before taking
out the actual FPC connectors.

 even vibration or general handling is going to cause stress on those
B2B connectors unless you have some screws making absolutely,
absolutely sure that the two boards are not going to move.  at all.

 mechanically, the combination of a tiny B2B connector and neodymium
magnets seems like asking for trouble.