[Arm-netbook] Plug computer and FreedomBox-related devices

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Sep 15 18:18:26 BST 2015

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 4:47 PM, Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> So I was browsing the FreedomBox mailing list when I saw a mention of a plug
> computer being crowdfunded:
>
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2015-
> September/006879.html
>
> Here's the actual crowdfunding page:
>
> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1547898916/own-mailbox-the-first-100-
> confidential-mailbox
>
> And the home page of the device:
>
> https://www.own-mailbox.com/

 looks great!

> So, it seems that the initiators of the campaign have made their own Allwinner
> A13 board with 256MB RAM and Ethernet support. It is open hardware,
> apparently, and the software is Free Software, not some kind of proprietary
> "snake oil" that some privacy campaigns tend to foist on their supporters.

 goooood.

> It is a bit odd that they've decided to go their own way with the hardware,
> though.

 well, if it's libre hardware then that's good, i hope!

> Anyway, back to EOMA-68, and a quick search produced a page on the plug
> computer idea for EOMA-68:
>
> http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/plug_computer/
>
> It occurred to me that if only we had EOMA-68 boards out there, maybe people
> wouldn't be so enthusiastic to go to the trouble of making new boards and
> running the gauntlet of crowdfunding.

 i knooooow :)

 here's the thing though:

 (1) i have to get the standard right for a 10-year-old and greater period
 (2) i have to get CPU Cards (plural) designed, sponsored, and tested
 (3) i have to prove that it is, indeed, simpler and lower-cost to
make carrier boards.

so that's what i'm doing.

to explain, first: this project has an absolute top priority of being
*right* (defined as "viable long-term") over being "rushed to
profitability".

second: it's no good having just the one CPU Card out there.  people
won't comprehend the modularity concept if there is only the
additional cost of having a single processor available.

third: even i was unable to move the micro-desktop board (which is
only 4in x 4.5in) forward because i had designed it as a 4-layer PCB -
costs are around $400 for qty 5 4-layer prototype boards on a 3 week
turnaround  by complete contrast, a 7-day turnaround for qty 5 2-layer
prototype (bare copper) boards with larger vias is around $40 for qty
2, and around $100 for qty 5.

so.... it's getting there, paul.