[Arm-netbook] linus torvalds says "2016 is the year of the arm laptop"

Lauri Kasanen cand at gmx.com
Wed Oct 14 16:34:45 BST 2015

On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 15:08:42 +0000
joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:

> > Is there really much point to them? To me the quest for DPI passed the
>
> Not too interested in DPI. Overall number of pixels - yes.
>
> > "mine's bigger than yours" point long ago. Of course I have bad
> > eyesight,
>
> There lies the rub.
>
> I got translucent 12 sided compiz cube and dozens of things happening at
> the same time on a 2560x1600 display on a fast PC with SSD.
> And it just ain't big enough for thumbing through reams of code. So now
> thinking of a 40" 3840x2160 :)

Yea, but we're talking laptops. They can't physically get larger than
the 17"/15"/13"/11" the case is for, and 17" are already niche products.
Getting a 2k or a 4k screen in 13" or even 15" would mean insane
DPI, and either too small text to read, or enlarged text and no benefit
to those pixels (plus higher power use), like the Chromebook and Macs.

Like I said, available laptop sales numbers do not echo that.

Your code problem could perhaps be better solved with a better input
method than a huge screen, but that's another discussion entirely ;)

- Lauri