[Arm-netbook] linus torvalds says "2016 is the year of the arm laptop"

joem joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Wed Oct 14 15:07:53 BST 2015

On Wed, 2015-10-14 at 10:48 +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 9:04 AM, joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:
> >>
> >>  what's the model / make and  what's the internal processor?
> >
> > Its at home now - It was one of these or a similar model
> > http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Onda-V919-4G-Air-9-7-Inch-Android-4-4-Phablet-MTK8752-Octa-Core-2-4GHz-2048-1536-2G-3G-4G-2GB-32GB-Tablet-PC-WiFi-GPS-BT---Silver-344501.html
>
>  ahh mediatek gpl-violating with 100% certainty *sigh*.
>
>  ok so it's technically doable.  that's a quad-core 64-bit with an
> A53... yowser the peak power consumption is going to be enormous
> though.   it'll be a MIPI or eDP display.

Most laptops last only 2 / 3 hours with gaming and get very hot.
These phablets last more than that watching videos.
I would plug in the adaptor while playing games or doing any
serious work, and I can imagine a small fan inside to remove heat
while playing games.

Still difficult to see what the problem is bringing out ARM laptops with
high definition displays. May be the GPL violations by these China
companies developing ARM CPUs have back fired on them again - they can't
make the Linux distros for their machines because there is nothing in
the way of non-NDA information about their chips and software out there
and their own engineers are not enough to make it happen. For Android
there is big infrastructure in the way of google so their engineers can
copy (not innovate) to make tablets and phones. For any other distros to
be livened up that require more than copying and more innovating such as
those that leads to laptops, the only way to make money is to share
hardware and software information without NDAs, and that they don't do -
so they shoot themselves in the foot as a result.  Android market is
saturating, so they got workers they can't pay because they haven't
invested in their future and livened up new distros to make new
products. All predictable me thinks. They need to bring out more
documentation and more non-bga footprint chips so that mere mortals can
use all that technology.