[Arm-netbook] linus torvalds says "2016 is the year of the arm laptop"

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Oct 13 15:13:15 BST 2015

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 2:03 PM, joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-10-09 at 22:40 +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>> http://linux.slashdot.org/story/15/10/09/1838249/linus-2016-will-be-the-year-of-the-arm-laptop
>>
>> surpriiiise!
>
> Wonder who's going to release 2560x1600 displays for arm Laptops.
> As far as I can tell, that is probably the only thing holding ARM
> laptops back from taking off.

 yyehhh... the bandwidth's just.... let's do the maths.  assume a
60fps refresh rate?  so 2560*1600*60*4 (bytes per pixel=32) we're
looking at 983mbytes/sec.

 i'd guess that 983mbytes/sec would utterly overwhelm most ARM
processors internal memory bus architectures.... and that's just for
refreshing the display - it's not even for *updating* it.

 so it's pretty hard-core.

 the current focus of design - because it's where the money is - is on
"IPTV" and "tablet".  do a quick scan of what allwinner sells: all
their products are either "TV" or "Tablet", with the occasional
"tablet-that-thinks-it's-a-smartphone" SoC thrown in.

 in other words, i feel that when tablets start getting 2560x1600
displays, and those become popular enough to catch allwinner and
rockchip's attention, we might start seeing SoCs that support that
kind of resolution.