[Arm-netbook] Allwinner's LGPL violation

Simon Kenyon simon at koala.ie
Fri Mar 20 12:24:33 GMT 2015

On 03/19/15 21:38, David Lanzendörfer wrote:
> Hi
>> There's bit of a stink over Allwinner using LGPL'd code in their
>> binary-only media lib, and then a few days later they try to conceal it
>> by changing function names. Luke, what is your take on that?
> I can explain the whole process in a whole detail, because I was directly
> involved in the process of this decision and I can tell where this is going
> right now:
> The rename was done to fix the LGPL violations by adding a wrapper for the
> GPLed libraries which will be LGPLed and published.
i've said it before and i'll say it again

you cannot unbreak the GPL

if allwinner release binaries with GPL'd code in them, then it is too
late to do this binary blob, LGPL, GPL shuffle.
i have three devices with these infringing binaries on them.
i would like the source for the code that was used to create those binaries.
not some new source but the source that was used originally. that is
what the licence says.