[Arm-netbook] FSF-Endorseable Hardware companies

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu Mar 19 17:26:34 GMT 2015

On Tuesday 17. March 2015 22.14.19 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> hi folks,
>
> ok - does anyone know of any companies that sell Libre or
> FSF-Endorseable hardware?  i have thinkpenguin, laclinux,
> hardware-libre.fr and inatux.com on the list already, i am looking to
> contact companies that would like to help sponsor these projects, it
> is very close so i would like to keep going full-time on them now.

A while ago someone started a list of vendors of systems that promote/support
Free Software on the FSFE Fellowship Wiki, and it has since grown
considerably, although some entries probably need updating or removing:

https://wiki.fsfe.org/Hardware_Vendors

It might be worth a look. FSF-endorseable status is not mentioned, but that
has mostly been a rarity until now, anyway, especially in the PC part of the
market. Generally, a lot of these lists on the Web are out-of-date or feature
all sorts of products that you might not care about, but the aim is to keep
this one useful.

Paul

P.S. You'll also see that Rhombus Tech is mentioned in the Single Board
Computers section of that page. When this was updated some time back, the
situation as far as I understood it was that the EOMA-68 initiative might
assert patents against people making "unauthorised" products based on the
published standard, and so a warning note was added. Since then, I think your
policies (and associates) have changed and that you're aiming to go down the
trademark-plus-certification route to avoid unsafe clones bringing the
initiative into disrepute (which I also imagine is a lot more viable a
strategy, anyway). I'll gladly update the above page to clarify the situation
if this is indeed the case. :-)