[Arm-netbook] Any progress?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Jun 29 16:58:50 BST 2015

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 4:06 PM, Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> Luke, others,
>
> Has there been any recent progress on the crowd-funding campaign or on other
> things?

 ironically we just cross-over on what i've been up to, mostly it's
been the laptop casework whilst waiting for quotes from china assembly
companies.

> From what I've seen from following other lists, there's progress on Linux
> device tree support for various Ingenic JZ-series SoCs, which might have a
> beneficial impact on any jz4755 card that is produced.

 great!  oh - it's a 4775 not a 4755.  the 4755 is a veerry loooow end
SoC, whilst the 4775 is an FSF-Endorseable 1ghz MIPS with a 720p video
decoder that has full source code available for it.

 anyway, yes: it was very unfortunate that the company in the USA -
despite having amazing interactive facilities which made the job of
communicating with them both a pleasure as well as a cooperative task
- had such high manual assembly costs.  ordinarily on USA-based
pricing for parts, or if the unit sale price was even 3x to 4x the
costs it would not have been a problem, but when the assembly cost is
nearly 80% to 100% of the component cost, _that_'s a problem.

 so it has been back to square one to find a china-based contract
manufacturer, and i just have to let them get on with it and get back
to me when they can.